Due to COVID-19 and current operational restrictions, courses will not run until further notice. We endeavour to reintroduce the above courses, as soon as it's safe to do so and in line with public health advice.
The Mardyke Arena UCC is now an accredited NICAS Awarding Centre delivering certified courses.
The National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme is designed to provide novice climbers with a structured and progressive programme of training & development to become competent indoor climbers.
We offer three levels:
- Level 1 - Foundation Climber
An entry level aimed at novices that recognises their ability to climb safely under supervision.
- Level 2 - Top Rope Climber
Aimed at promoting good practice in climbing and bouldering unsupervised on an artificial wall.
- Level 3 - Technical Climber
A more advanced top roping and bouldering level that focuses on developing technique and movement skills.
Aims of the Scheme:
- To develop climbing movement skills and improve levels of ability.
- To learn climbing rope-work and how to use equipment appropriately.
- To develop risk assessment and risk management skills in the sport.
- To work as a team, communicate with, and trust a climbing partner.
- To provide a structure for development, motivation and improved performance.
- To develop an understanding of the sport, its history and future challenges.
- To provide a record of personal achievement.
- To point the way to further disciplines and challenges in climbing beyond the scheme.
NICAS will be delivered in the following ways:
For more information on NICAS contact reception on 021 490 4751 or email andy at firstname.lastname@example.org