Access for All
Access for All was identified as one of the primary objectives for the Mardyke Arena UCC from the initial conception of the facility.
The facility which opened in 2001 was designed and constructed in full compliance with access regulatory requirements and the extension which was completed in 2012 also fully complies with these requirements.
- All areas are wheelchair-accessible.
- The main cardiovascular exercise gym on the first floor is fitted with a specialised lift for wheelchair users.
- A pool hoist system is available for access to the main pool.
- There are individual disabled toilet facilities on each floor, some of which have disabled access shower/changing areas.
- There are designated disabled parking spaces close to the the main entrance to the facility.
- The Arena is routinely used by the UCC Disabilities Support Office and we have worked closely with the UCC group in ensuring that the facility remains as disability-friendly as possible.
- The Arena has for many years provided activity and summer camp programmes for children of all abilities including ADHD groups and individuals, CABAS and SHINE foundation groups and various other community organisations. We are very pleased that these groups return to us year after year and have expressed great satisfaction with the facilities and services offered.
- Arena staff training routinely incorporates disability awareness training in all areas.