The Mardyke Arena Climbing Wall offers an exciting challenge for complete beginners through to serious climbers. Our qualified instructors will guide you through the use of all equipment, plus give coaching tips on how to improve your climbing – whether it is your first time or have been climbing for years.
The Mardyke wall
The Bouldering Wall
Bouldering is climbing at its most simple. No ropes – just a series of ‘problems’ starting with easy for beginners, through to intermediate up to seriously testing problems for the experienced climber.
The Vertical Wall
The vertical wall is 25ft in height and has 4 lines of climbing offering a wide variety of styles. With grade from French 5a suitable for beginner’s right though to finger testing 7a's. This section of the wall is always available for bottom roping.
The Mardyke wall has 9 lines of overhanging climbing to challenge all levels of climbers. Grades on the overhang are in the range from French 5c – 7b (approx).
|Monday – Friday||12:00 – 22:30pm|
|Saturday – Sunday||12:00 – 19:00pm|
The Mardyke Arena UCC Climbing Wall offers the following:
NICAS - National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme
The Mardyke Arena UCC is now an accredited NICAS Awarding Centre delivering certified courses.
The National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme is designed to provide novice climbers with a structured and progressive programme of training & development to become competent indoor climbers.
- Children's Session: Suitable for complete beginners (5-14 Year Olds). It's an hour of climbing, fun and games!
- Adult Beginner Session: Suitable for adults of all ages, come along and learn the basics of climbing movement and how to belay.
- Adult Improver Session: Improve your technique with a mixture of bouldering and roped climbing.
- Competent Climber Test: If you want to climb without supervision, we require you to pass a competency test first?
- Learn to Lead: Ready to take your climbing to the next level? Book in for a learn to lead session.
- Lead Climbing Test: If you want to lead climb independently we need you to pass a competency test first.
- If you would like to improve your technique, push your grade or any aspect of your climbing book in for a coaching session with one of our qualified instructors. You’ll have focused attention on a one to one (max. one to two) level to work on your chosen area. We can also offer video analysis using ‘Coaches Eye’ to give you instant feedback on your climbing technique.
- We provide all equipment – harnesses, helmets, belay devices and carabineers.
- Climbing shoes are available to hire for 2euro.
- Chalk bags, chalk balls and finger tape are available for sale at reception.
- If you’d like to book a session on the wall, phone the Mardyke Arena UCC Recepion on (021) 490 4751 to check availability. You’ll be in a small class of up to 4 adults or for kids a group of up to 6. These classes are suitable for complete beginners and last for 1 hour.
- If you’d prefer a coaching session with an instructor to improve your technique, or to work on any aspect of your climbing – just ask the receptionist when you book in. You’ll have a one hour session with an instructor doing a mixture of bouldering and roped climbing. Coaching sessions – Max 2 people.
If you are already an experienced climber we will ask you to pass a competency test before you climb. For this reason it is best to book in for your first session.
Adult - Member €8 / Non-Member €10 Child - Member €6 / Non-Member €8
|Coaching Session||Adult - Member €10 / Non-Member €15
Child - Member €8 / Non-Member €10
|Yearly Membership||Public € 240
UCC Graduate € 140
UCC Staff € 120
Children's Climbing Club
The Mardyke Arena UCC Children's Climbing Club will take place on Thursday's:
- 17:00 - 18:00 (5-10 Year Olds)
- 18:00 - 19:00 (11-15 Year Olds)
- Member €6 / Non Member €8
The Mardyke Arena UCC Climbing Wall will run a number of Adult & Children Climbing Courses throughout the year.
Courses will run for 6 weeks.
For further details of upcoming courses please keep an eye on the Mardyke Arena Homepage.
Q. I’d like to try climbing what do I do?
A. If you’re a complete beginner, book in for one of our climbing classes – you’ll be in a small group of up to 4 adults or for children a group of up to 6.
Q. Can I book in for a coaching session with an instructor?
A. Yes, if you would like to work on your technique or improve your climbing in some way ask for a coaching session when you book in. You’ll have an hour with an instructor who’ll be happy to discuss your needs. Max 2 people in a coaching session.
Q. Is there a lower age limit for children?
A. Yes your child must be 5yrs old
Q. What should you wear?
A. Loose comfortable clothing and a pair of runners
Q. Do you supply all the equipment?
A. Yes we provide all the equipment except for climbing shoes
Q. Can I hire shoes at the wall?
A. Yes shoes can be hired for 2 euro
Q. Do I have to be a member of the wall?
A. No, you can pay in for each session
Q. Is there membership available?
A. Yes it is possible to take out a year’s membership
Q. If I am an experienced climber do I need to book in?
A. It is best to book in for your first session as you’ll be asked to pass a competency test for top-roping and if you want to lead – a separate test for lead climbing
Q. If I am a beginner can I just turn up?
A. You’ll be able to use the bouldering wall but if you want to climb using the ropes you must book in for a session. Phone the arena on 021 – 4904751
Q. What are the opening hours of the wall?
A. The wall is open Mon – Fri 12:00 – 22:30pm & Sat – Sun 12:00 – 19:00pm