The Mardyke Arena Climbing Wall offers an exciting challenge for complete beginners through to serious climbers. Our qualified instructors will guide you through the use of all equipment, plus give coaching tips on how to improve your climbing – whether it is your first time or have been climbing for years.
The Mardyke wall
The Bouldering Wall
Bouldering is climbing at its most simple. No ropes – just a series of ‘problems’ starting with easy for beginners , through intermediate up to seriously testing problems for the experienced climber. Grades range from font 4 to 6c (approx).
The Vertical Wall
The vertical wall is 25ft in height and has 4 lines of climbing offering a wide variety of styles. With grade from French 4c suitable for beginner’s right though to finger testing 7bs this section of the wall is always available for bottom roping.
The Mardyke wall has 9 lines of overhanging climbing starting with a shorter easier section progressing to a steep angled section then a featured section comprising a roof for a serious challenge. Grades on the overhang are in the range from French 5c – 7b (approx).
|Monday – Friday||12:00 – 22:30pm|
|Saturday – Sunday||12:00 – 19:00pm|
The Mardyke Arena UCC Climbing Wall offers the following:
- Beginner Sessions: Learn the basics of movement and how to use the equipment safely.
- Improver Sessions: Improve your movement and learn more efficient technique.
- Competent Climber Test: Want to climb without supervision? Book in for a competency test.
- Learn to Lead: Ready to take your climbing to the next level? Book in for a learn to lead session.
- Lead Belay Test: Want to lead without supervision? Book in for a lead belay test.
- Coaching Session: Looking to improve your technique or any aspect of your climbing? Book in for a coaching session.
- Coaching & Video Analysis Session: Get instant feedback on your climbing technique with 'Coaches Eye'.
- We provide all equipment for free – harnesses, helmets, belay devices and carabineers.
- Climbing shoes are available to hire for 2euro.
- Chalk bags, chalk balls and finger tape are available for sale at reception.
- If you’d like to book a session on the wall, phone the Mardyke Arena UCC Recepion on (021) 490 4751 to check availability. You’ll be in a small class of up to 4 adults or for kids a group of up to 6. These classes are suitable for complete beginners and last for 1 hour.
- If you’d prefer a coaching session with an instructor to improve your technique, or to work on any aspect of your climbing – just ask the receptionist when you book in. You’ll have a one hour session with an instructor doing a mixture of bouldering and roped climbing. Coaching sessions – Max 2 people.
If you are already an experienced climber we will ask you to pass a competency test before you climb. For this reason it is best to book in for your first session.
|Adults||€ 10 (Competent Climbers Only)|
|Gym Membership||€ 6 (Competent Climbers Only)|
Adult - Member €8 / Non-Member €10 Child - Member €6 / Non-Member €8
|Coaching Session||Adult - Member €10 / Non-Member €15
Child - Member €8 / Non-Member €10
|Yearly Membership||Public € 240
UCC Graduate € 140
UCC Staff € 120
Children's Climbing Club
The Mardyke Arena UCC Children's Climbing Club will take place on Thursday's:
- 17:00 - 18:00 (5-10 Year Olds)
- 18:30 - 20:00 (11-15 Year Olds)
- 5- 10 Year Olds - Member €6 / Non Member €8
- 10- 15 Year Olds - Member €9 / Non Member €12
The Mardyke Arena UCC Climbing Wall will run a number of Adult & Children Climbing Courses throughout the year.
Courses will run for 6 weeks.
For further details of upcoming courses please keep an eye on the Mardyke Arena Homepage.
Q. I’d like to try climbing what do I do?
A. If you’re a complete beginner, book in for one of our climbing classes – you’ll be in a small group of up to 4 adults or for children a group of up to 6.
Q. Can I book in for a coaching session with an instructor?
A. Yes, if you would like to work on your technique or improve your climbing in some way ask for a coaching session when you book in. You’ll have an hour with an instructor who’ll be happy to discuss your needs. Max 2 people in a coaching session.
Q. Is there a lower age limit for children?
A. Yes your child must be 5yrs old
Q. What should you wear?
A. Loose comfortable clothing and a pair of runners
Q. Do you supply all the equipment?
A. Yes we provide all the equipment except for climbing shoes
Q. Can I hire shoes at the wall?
A. Yes shoes can be hired for 2 euro
Q. Do I have to be a member of the wall?
A. No, you can pay in for each session
Q. Is there membership available?
A. Yes it is possible to take out a year’s membership
Q. If I am an experienced climber do I need to book in?
A. It is best to book in for your first session as you’ll be asked to pass a competency test for top-roping and if you want to lead – a separate test for lead climbing
Q. If I am a beginner can I just turn up?
A. You’ll be able to use the bouldering wall but if you want to climb using the ropes you must book in for a session. Phone the arena on 021 – 4904751
Q. What are the opening hours of the wall?
A. The wall is open Mon – Fri 12:00 – 22:30pm & Sat – Sun 12:00 – 19:00pm